Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from Rachael Ray
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fusilli
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups orange cheddar cheese, finely shredded (about 8 ounces)
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 cup)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until almost al dente; drain. In the same pot, bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat; whisk in the turmeric and stir in the cream cheese. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Add the pasta, bacon and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-13 inch casserole dish and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss to coat. Serve the salad with the pasta.
This made for a great lunch. I omitted the turnemic, and used fat free yogurt. All in all a nice recipe, full if flavors. Kids enjoyed it too. Made this as one of you bonus tags in June I Recommends contest.
I did change a few things, using 3 tablespoons of Hormel Real Bacon Pieces instead of the strips of bacon! Also used a reduced fat cream cheese, a fat free yogurt & milk with 2% fat! Maybe that reduced the quality of the mac & cheese, & maybe not, but I do know the result was a very satisfying mac & cheese & a nice salad, so how can one go wrong with that! Very nice & worth making again! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]