Prep 13 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This cake is different and delicious. The blood oranges make a striking presentation and the cake is so light and fluffy. With the vivid colors and airy cake it's almost like eating a dream. This takes some time so be sure to start this a day ahead.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 (16 ounce) carton vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 5 cups blood oranges, sections
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, melted butter, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at high speed 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until mixture is thick and pale.
- Gently fold flour into egg mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place a colander in a 2-quart glass measure or medium bowl.
- Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth, allowing cheesecloth to extend over outside edges. Spoon yogurt into colander. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate 12 hours.
- Spoon yogurt cheese into a large bowl; discard liquid. Add honey to yogurt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine cream and powdered sugar in bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gently stir one-fourth of the cream mixture into yogurt mixture; gently fold in remaining cream mixture.
- Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Arrange blood orange sections in a single layer on several layers of paper towels, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Reserve half of the sections; roughly chop remaining sections. Cover and chill.
- To prepare syrup, combine juice and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Split cake in half horizontally using a serrated knife (I use unwaxed dental floss) place bottom layer, cut side up, on a plate.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons syrup.
- Spread with half of yogurt mixture, leaving a 1/4-inch border.
- Sprinkle chopped blood orange mixture mixture evenly over yogurt mixture.
- Top with the remaining cake layer, cut side down. Brush the top layer with remaining syrup; spread with remaining yogurt mixture.
- Top cake with reserved whole orange sections.