Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
very dark, moist and well flavoured.
- 1⁄2 cup black rum
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong black coffee
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup butter, cut in pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup black rum
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 4 maraschino cherries
- Generously grease and flour a 12 cup bundt or tube pan.
- On top of double boiler, over simmering water heat rum and coffee for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate and butter, stir until just melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Pour into a large bowl and cool 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt otn a small bowl.
- With electric mixer, beat flour into chocolate mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Beat 1 minute a med.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat 1/2 minute more.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Cool one hour in pan.
- For best flavour, cover cake and mellow for one day before serving.
- Prepare chocolate rum glaze.
- and spoon slowly over cake.
- Garnish with coconut and cherries.
- Chocolate Rum Glaze Place chocolate and butter in saucepan over very low heat; stir until smooth.
- Stir in rum.
- Cool two minutes.
- Gradually add icing sugar, beating until smooth.