Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
When my mother-in-law passed away, a close family friend made us two wonderful cakes. One was the Kentucky Apple cake, which was a hit with the guys, and the other was this moist, dense chocolate cake, which was a hit with my kids and their friends and me as will.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong black coffee, cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for two minutes. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan or two 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350*F. for 35-40 minutes for a 9x13, or 30-35 minutes for layer pans.
- Combine frosting ingredients and mix with a hand or stand mixer. Spread frosting on cooled cakes.