Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
A delicious Bread Pudding from of course, the Black Labrador Pub, very flavorful with a wonderful brandy cream sauce--beautiful to look at-Hope you enjoy.
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄2 loaves French bread (large loaves, not baguettes)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ounces raisins (3/4 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
Brandy Cream Sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Soak apples in lemon juice, One tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove crust from one loaf french bread and slice lengthwise down the middle, then cut into eight pieces.
- Pour milk into small to medium saucepan(depending on the depth of the pan)and add granulated sugar;bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs,brandy and almond flavoring together.
- Whisk in a little of the hot milk, then add remainder,whisking until mixed.
- Layer half of the bread pieces in a 9-inch square pan;pour half the liquid mixture over it.
- Mash mixture with your hands, then pat down into a layer.
- Mix prepared apples with nutmeg,remaining cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, some of the remaining milk mixture and raisins; spoon over bread.
- Remove crust from remaining bread; cut bread into 1-1/2 inch rounds.
- Overlap bread on top of apples, and pour remaining milk mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven;glaze with apricot preserves.
- Cut bread pudding into servings;place each serving in a bowl.
- Pour Brandy Cream Sauce over each serving; serve hot.
- Please note:plan ahead as the apples refrigerate overnight***.