1/1 Photo of Black Eyed Peas With Herbs
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This Moroccan dish is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. I serve this stew-like dish over rice for a delicious hearty vegetarian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and drain black-eyed peas.
- 2Soak peas overnight in water that covers by 5 inches.
- 3Drain peas and discard soaking liquid.
- 4In a large pot, add the peas and 4 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- 5Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the peas are tender; set aside without draining.
- 6Add the oil to a large skillet and put over medium-high heat.
- 7When the oil is hot, add in the chile and stir once; it should darken and puff up immediately.
- 8Quickly add in the garlic and stir once.
- 9Add the black-eyed peas and all the cooking liquid, the bay leaves, oregano, thyme, paprika, and salt.
- 10Stir mixture and bring to a simmer.
- 11Simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Moroccan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Eyed Peas With Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.7
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 883.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 15.0 g