1 hr 30 mins
Suzanne Kohler's Note:
Just a recipe I made up one cold day when I wanted a hearty, homemade stew (comfort food!) It was really good, so I shared it with a few friends. One friend called it: "Keisha's Mom's Black-Eyed Peas and Sweet Potato Stew" - adding my daughter's name. Sounds impressive! (This friend has made it more often than I have!) I like it because of the interesting taste and texture of the whole, fresh ingredients...it's great to have in the fall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks or 1 can stewed tomatoes (works, but fresh ones are better)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (or more)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne or 1/2-1 teaspoon red peppers or 1/2-1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon whole celery seeds or 1 -2 stalk chopped celery, with leaves (or both)
- salt and pepper
- 1Rinse black-eyed peas in colander (to clean), then drain.
- 2Add enough water to cover beans in 3 quart vessel.
- 3Boil, then turn down to medium-low heat for 30 minutes (cook until tender).
- 4Keep on lower heat and add onions, garlic, parsley, celery (if desired) and seasonings.
- 5Add tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- 6Cook for another 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 7Other suggested ingredients for variation are: 1 can of corn, chopped red bell peppers, or a few hot peppers.
- 8You can also add olive oil and/or a dash of vinegar for added flavor.
- 9Serve with, or over brown rice-- with corn bread on the side!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black-Eyed Peas and Sweet Potato Stew
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning