1/1 Photo of Black Bottom Pie
4 hrs 20 mins
My ex husband had family in Mississippi. I first had Black Bottom Pie there in a restaurant called Widemans in Meridian Mississippi. It was to die for. This recipe pretty closely is the same. The cooking time means chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (9 inch) graham wafer crust
- 1 (1 tablespoon) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons light rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1Combine 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch.
- 2Slowly add milk to egg yolks, start with just 1 tbsp at a time till you have added about 1/3 cup. This tempers the eggs and prevents them from scrambling. Now add in all the milk.
- 3Stir in sugar mixture, cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
- 4Add vanilla.
- 5Remove 1 cup of custard and stir into it the chocolate chips until they are melted.
- 6Pour into crust and chill.
- 7Meanwhile soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water.
- 8Add to remaining hot custard, and stir until completely dissolved.
- 9Add rum.
- 10Chill until slightly thickened.
- 11Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 12Fold into gelatin custard mixture.
- 13Chill if necessary until mixture mounds.
- 14Pile over chocolate layer.
- 15Chill till set (about 4 hours).
- 17Beat 2 cups of whipping cream till soft peaks form.
- 18Add sugar and vanilla.
- 19Continue beating until mixed well.
- 20Pile on chilled pie.
- 21Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg over the whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bottom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.5
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 184.4 mg
- Sodium 88.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 40.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
graham wafer crust