Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A winner from Gourmet Magazine! One of those wow desserts!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- unsweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- finely chopped chocolate wafer cookie, for garnish
- Cook sugar in a dry heavy saucepan over moderate heat,unstirred, until it begins to melt.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar is melted into a deep golden caramel.
- Remove from heat and carefully add cream in a slow stream (mixture will bubble and steam).
- Return to low heat and cook, whisking, until smooth.
- Stir together 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch.
- Beat eggs, vanilla, and salt in another bowl.
- Stir remaining 2 1/2 cups milk into caramel and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, then whisk into caramel.
- Bring to a boil, whisking, and simmer, whisking, 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Whisk about 1 cup hot caramel mixture into egg mixture until well blended, then whisk egg mixture back into caramel.
- Continue whisking away from the heat for 1 minute.
- Whisk 1/2 cup hot caramel pudding into chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon chocolate pudding into 6 (8-ounce) parfait glasses, then top with caramel pudding.
- Chill until set, at least 3 hours.
- Note: Pudding can be made up to 3 days ahead and chilled, covered with plastic wrap.
This dessert had a beautiful, velvety texture, and was not too rich, nor too sweet. I appreciated the clear, step by step instructions, and was pleased I didn't miss any out! Served 8 in champage glasses after a large meal, and was just right for a sweet finish. I used about 3/4C of pudding for the chocolate bottom, and garnished with belgian chocolates. Some who didn't mix the carame with the choc whilst eating found the choc part too rich (I used 70% cocoa dark choc). Will definitely make again!
Delicious - everyone loved this. Very rich and creamy, and just chocolatey enough.