Recipe by JackieOhNo!
One basic can of beans is the short cut you need to get this on the table fast. From Good Food Magazine September 1988
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, the water, vinegar, cumin, cayenne, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer covered 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in shrimp and cook just until pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in beans and coriander and heat through.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, topped with a dollop of sour cream.