3 hrs 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This recipe comes from a May 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Mexican Cooking Goes Light" article. It is chef Jorge De'Angelo's and is best if prepared one day ahead of when you want to serve the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart water (or more)
- 1 lb black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup lard, plus
- 2 teaspoons lard (or 1/4 c. plus 2 T.solid vegetable shortening)
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 2 sprigs epazote or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 5 jalapenos, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 4 1/2 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1 1/8 cups) or 4 1/2 ounces monterey jack cheese (about 1 1/8 cups)
- finely chopped green onions (to garnish) or red onion, to garnish
- minced fresh cilantro leaves (garnish)
- 1Bring water,beans,sliced onion,2 tablespoons lard and garlic to boil in heavy Dutch oven.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Add epazote (or oregano) and simmer until beans are tender, adding water as needed, about 30 minutes.
- 4Puree bean mixture through medium disc of food mill or coarsely chop in food processor using on/off turns; return to Dutch oven.
- 5Heat remaining 1/4 cup lard in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 6Add 1 Celsius red onions and 1 tablespoon minced chilies.;cover and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 7Increase heat to medium-high, add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with fork or potato masher, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add to beans and bring to a boil; reduce heat,cover and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- 9Add salt to taste.
- 10Cool completely, then refrigerate overnight.
- 11Bring beans to room temperature; taste and adjust seasoning.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 13Grease a large casserole and fill with beans.
- 14Sprinkle with cheese, cover and bake until bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.
- 15Serve immediately, passing remaining chilies, green onion and cilantro separately.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans With Chorizo
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.1
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 1071.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 30.8 g