Recipe by Tmisen2980
The original recipe is a Rachel Ray recipe. I have modified it to suit my family's taste. Great if you are in a hurry and want something filling. If you can plan ahead, it is even better the next day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, 3 of them rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 lime, juice of
- Mexican blend cheese, shredded (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse the 3 cans of beans.
- To mash the 4th can I poured it into a bowl and mashed with a fork.
- While they are draining, heat a soup pot on medium high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno and bay leaf. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add drained beans.
- Add the mashed beans.
- Season with the cumin, salt and pepper and hot sauce. Add the chicken stock and rotel and bring to a high simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat. Add the lime juice, remove the bay leaf.
- To serve spoon into bowls and if desired, top with cheese and/or sour cream. This is also great served with Tostitos chips with a hint of lime.