Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is delicious with chicken. I'm sure it would pair nicely with fish and pork as well.
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 jicama, peeled and jullienned (cut in thin strips)
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
- Cut mango into small pieces.
- The easiest way is to sit the mango on it's narrow side and slice the fruit off either side of the central pit, which is about 1 1/2 inches in the center.
- Take a large spoon and slide it between the skin and flesh of the two halves.
- Chop the flesh and toss in a medium bowl.
- You can also cut a small amount of flesh from around the pit, or take the cooks reward and bite it off for yourself!
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mango and stir together.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust as necessary.
This was a nice refreshing salad and a great change from you standard tossed salad. I added some thinly sliced green onions and a some mint to round out the flavor. I also added a touch of chili powder as it is always a good compliment to jicama. My jalepeno was a particularly spicy bugger which made this a little bit more of a challenge for us to eat, but we still enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing!