Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Ful can be served as an appetizer or saide dish; or for a simple lunch with the hard-boiled egg and tossed salad. (Moosewood recipe)
- 2 cups dried black turtle beans or 4 -5 cups fresh fava beans
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced in wedges (optional)
- Soak the dried black turtle beans in the water for several hours or overnight.
- Cook the soaked beans in fresh water to cover for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until tender. (Cook fresh favas until just tender).
- Drain the cooked beans while they're still hot and toss them with the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. The warm beans will readily absorb the flavors.
- Add plenty of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in half of the tomatoes and parsley.
- Taste the ful. It should be lemony and garlicky, not bland. Add more lemon if necessary.
- Turn the ful into a warm serving bowl and top it with the rest of the tomatoes and parsley and garnish it with lemon wedges and hard-boiled eggs if you like.
- Serve warm, but can also be served chilled or at room temperature.
I love this simple, delicious recipe. It's great to serve right away, while still warm. Be warned. It's garlicky!
Yum! I used the dried beans-mixing the lemon and garlic in right away made this so flavorful! I served this with flat bread. The kids were not fans, but I thought it was great. Thanks!
Wonderful!! I made these with canned black beans to speed up the time and they were still great. Served with Jessica K's pita crisps. Went very well together. Yum!