Recipe by nsomniak6
I used to go to a Vegatarian Cafe in Bethlehem, PA and they made this dish which is phenomenal. They are VERY guarded about their recipes so I came up with this version which is comparable! I have been having a hard time getting these to stick together while cooking, so I would suggest throwing in an egg or two(?) I haven't tried that yet, but I wll will repost once I do.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 eggs or 1 egg, replacement
- 1⁄2-1 cup green onion, chopped fine
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- olive oil (for frying) or vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash or puree 1 can black beans and add second can to mashed beans.
- Add next 9 ingredients (up to pepper) to mixture and mix through.
- Add brown rice and mix well, then add corn meal and mix well.
- Heat oil in pan over med-high heat.
- Take enough of the mixture out to form a large "meatball" and repeat until all the mixture is gone. Add them to the oil one at a time and fry until all side are crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- These can be put into pitas with lettuce, shredded carrots, cucumbers, etc and topped with salsa, or a tofu sour cream.