Top Review by Zilla
I made this as directed. I ate some and froze some. I just rediscovered the frozen portions in the freezer. It is delicious! Very nicely seasoned and different. I don't like food arrestingly hot with chilies, pepper etc, so if you need it really hot you can always add more heat.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies, drained
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat onion, water, apple juice, oregano, tomato paste, cumin, red pepper and chilies to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans, bell pepper and cilantro.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until beans are hot.
- Serve with cheese and yogurt.