Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I got this recipe from our local Beans and Grains store. The mild flavor of the cakes goes well with a hot, spicy fresh salsa. A good way to use up left-over mashed potatoes, too.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked black beans
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fresh is better)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes, beans, bell pepper, garlic, chives, and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Add in the eggs and salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix well.
- Form mixture into eight 4-inch patties.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl; dip patties into the crumbs, patting to make the crumbs adhere to the cakes.
- In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Add as many cakes as will fit in a single layer.
- Brown cakes on one side, then flip to brown on the other side.
- Keep the cakes warm in a 250 degree oven while cooking the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve hot with salsa.