This is a quick and hearty vegetarian meal for one that I cooked up tonight for dinner, and it doesn't call for a pizza base, sauce, or special cheeses! It's a bit "upside down", with yummy parmesan cheese in the crust, followed by a layer of sliced tomatoes, which acts as the "pizza sauce". A little bit of stove-top "crust"-making and a little pop in the oven, and your yummy, unconventional pizza is ready!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup original Bisquick baking mix
- 1/4 cup milk (You can use skim)
- 1 teaspoon water
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika (You can use less)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/3 cup sliced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn kernels
- black pepper
- 1Mix together Bisquick, milk and water in a bowl and whisk until a smooth batter of pourable consistency is formed.
- 2Ensure that the batter isn't too thin; you need a substantial base to hold all those veggies!
- 3Preheat oven to 250 degrees Celcius (480 degrees Fahrenheit) using the top heating element only.
- 4Instructions for ovens without this facility with follow.
- 5Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- 6Heat a non-stick skillet (or spray a regular skillet with cooking spray) on a medium-high flame until hot.
- 7Pour the Bisquick batter onto the skillet quickly, such that you get a 6-inch diameter circle or thereabouts.
- 8My"crusts" are usually pretty darn weird-shaped!
- 9Immediately sprinkle oregano, paprika and parmesan cheese over the top of the"crust".
- 10Cook only on one side for a minute or two, or until the bottom of the pancake is well browned (This is IF your oven has the facility of heating only the top element).
- 11If your oven is old-fashioned and it heats from all sides, cook the crust until it just starts to brown.
- 12Now remove the crust from the skillet and place it carefully (same side up, DON'T FLIP) on the baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- 13Carefully place the tomato slices over the crust covering as much of it as you can.
- 14Now top with onion and bell pepper slices, and corn kernels.
- 15Sprinkle with black pepper.
- 16Bake in the preheated oven with only the top heating element switched on, even now, if you have that facility, for 15 minutes.
- 17Even in a regular oven, with all heating elements switched on, bake for 15 minutes (you adjusted the time during the crust-making, see!).
- 18Remove from the baking sheet onto your serving plate gently.
- 19Attempt to slice it, give up, grab a large spoon and dig in!
- 20Relish the satisfaction and thank the parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bizarre Bisquick Veggie Pizza (without sauce to worry about!)
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.2 mg
- Sodium 763.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 11.3 g