Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The French Slow Cooker
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a rack in a large slow cooker. Or make a rack using rings of wadded tin foil.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the water. Cook over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved about 5 minutes. Simmer the mixture without stirring until it begins to turn brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Gently swirl the pan until the syrup is evenly caramelized.
- Protect your hand with an oven mitt. Pour the hot syrup into a 6-cup soufflé dish, turning the dish to coat the bottom evenly. Let cool until the caramel is just set.
- In a bowl, whisk together the evaporated and sweetened condensed milks. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the dish on the rack in a large slow cooker. Pour hot water to a depth of 1 inch of around the soufflé dish. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Protecting your hands with oven mitts, carefully remove the dish from the slow cooker. Let cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate until chilled, several hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the inside of the dish. Invert a serving plate on top of the dish and quickly invert the two. Carefully remove the dish allowing the caramel to drizzle over the cream. Cut into wedges to serve.