Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a lighter side of my Bird's Famous Macaroni and Cheese and prepared in a slow cooker. I've reduced the calories down from 616, fat down from 38g, and carbs down from 44.5g.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (mild)
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded (or Romano mix)
- 1 (12 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a medium saucepan, mix margarine and milk. Add the cheeses and cheese soup until the cheeses melt.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, mustard, salt, and pepper and stir well.
- Add macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
This was a nice mac and cheese but I had a couple of problems with it. When I tried to melt the margarine and cheeses, I ended up with a glob of cheese in the separated oils. I added the milk at this point trying to get the cheeses to melt into a creamy sauce. Once the cheeses melted, the rest of the recipe went together pretty well. I'll try this again, but will start with melting the cheeses in the milk first. Thanks 2Bleu. Made for Photo Tag.
My mac-&-cheese loving neighbor couple had their 2 grandsons visiting them for a couple of days, & since they're housebound, I made this just for them, & took lazyme's hint about the cheeses & the milk! And, from the great complements they all gave me (several times!) I can only assume that you've got a real winner here! In fact, I now have it on my kitchen schedule for next week so I can make it again when my vegetarian son & DIL come by for a meal! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]