Recipe by MadCity Dale
This recipe is the result of several different comfort snacks prepared while in Biloxi, Mississippi's Gulf Coast. A group of people from Madison, Wisconsin made several trips to Biloxi to assist in Katrina Relief . The experience was so overwhelming and gratifying, that I had to come up with something to keep those memories alive. Most of these ingredients were used in evening snacks to relieve some of the stress that we felt after seeing the devastion brought on by Hurricane Katrina. To this day, I still prepare it for many different community functions and charity events. The basis of the recipe was adapted from the many Texas and Mississippi Cavair recipes on this site. Particularly, Babs in Toyland's #14904, Thanks Bab's!
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup drained corn kernel
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups chili or 1 1⁄2 cups Italian sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 lb baby shrimp
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together vinegar, hot sauce, garlic aand oil thoroughly.
- Combine all the other ingredients together in separate container.
- Pour whisked liquids into container, blend together well.
- Refrigerate and serve with chips, cheese chunks and cilantro garnish on top.