Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A recipe I came across on Donatella's Dish on Yahoo! Food. It sounds intriguing and I'd like to try it. I am a bit puzzled by the addition of egg yolks in the pastry. Donatella says this is a delicious tart, not at all gummy and quite tart. The crust is baked before the filling is poured and chilled. According to her it is a big hit. I've guessed the times but there is a fair bit of resting and cooling.
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum
- 4 hardboiled egg yolks, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 2 lbs fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place the sugar, flour, salt, cinnmon, almonds and baking powder in a mixer with a paddle attachment and combine on low speed.
- With mixer running, add rum and grated, hard-boiled egg yolks.
- Add butter a little at a time and mix, maintaining low speed until just combined.
- Gather dough and press into a flat disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Once dough has rested, roll out to 1/4" thick, flouring surface well so as not to stick to rolling pin.
- Drape rolled out dough over tart pan and press into pan.
- With a fork pierce the bottom of the dough many times so that the steam is released during baking and the dough doesn't puff up.
- Refrigerate again for a half hour to rest the dough.
- Bake at 325F until crust is golden brown.
- Filling Instructions.
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla bean in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cmbine cornstarch and water in a mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve.
- When blueberry mixture is steaming, pour a little of the hot liquid into cornstarch mix, whisk to combine and return mixture to pot stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Immediately pour into shell and refridgerate until cool.