Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like my cookies thick and chewy rather than thin and crispy. If you do too, then here's the recipe you should try.
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened but still firm
- 1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces chocolate chips (about 1 3/4 cups) or 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat Crisco and butter in a medium bowl with back of a wooden spoon until pretty smooth but with a few harder pieces till left (about 1 minute).
- Add sugars and beat until well blended.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and stir into butter mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- For each cookie, shape 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball with your fingers and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet with 1 1/2-inches between cookie dough.
- Bake 14 minutes or until tops are well browned.
- Slide parchment paper onto wire racks to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough and fresh sheets of parchment paper.
Sorry for the missing star... this cookie was good and the kids I served it to liked it too. However, for myself, even though I used salted butter ( it's what I had) and added the additional salt called for in the recipe it was missing that perfect balance of flavors I always look for in a cookie. And although it was soft- it wasn't as soft as I was hoping for. For the soft and truly chewy cookie I would recommend Thick, Soft, and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Although these cookies did come out thicker, they were not chewy. They also did not have the usual chocolate chip cookie flavor. My family did not like their taste at all. Will not try again.
Oh my! I had to hide 3/4 of these in the freezer so we wouldn't eat the whole batch in 2 days! These are delicious straight from the oven...I'll have to get back with you about coming out of the freezer. Very soft, chewy cookie. I did have to add some pecans in the mix. Tasty!