1/3 Photos of Big Soft Hamburger Buns
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 23 mins
Deb's Recipes's Note:
These homemade buns have a wonderful light-textured soft interior and a delicate crust thanks to the inclusion of both mashed potatoes and cottage cheese. They are very easy to make in a KitchenAid stand mixer and so much better than store-bought buns! The recipe is from Sunset Breads (1995)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together potatoes and boiling water; allow to cool at least 5-10 minutes; meanwhile, sprinkle yeast over warm water; let stand about 5 minutes until foamy.
- 2Stir together potato mixture, yeast mixture, cottage cheese, sugar, oil, egg, and salt; gradually stir in (KitchenAid stand mixer on low speed #1) flour until a soft dough comes together to form a smooth ball.
- 3Knead 9-10 minutes (in KitchenAid stand mixer on medium speed #2) until dough is smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky; add more flour, one tablespoon at a time during the kneading process, if necessary to reduce stickiness.
- 4Place dough into oiled bowl; cover bowl and place in a warm place; allow dough to rise (about 1 1/2 hours) until doubled.
- 5Punch down dough and knead a few strokes to release air; divide dough into 9 (or 12 portions if you want to end up with not-quite-so-large buns) equal portions; with lightly oiled or floured hands, shape each dough portion into a ball, gently pulling and tucking top surface under until smooth.
- 6Place formed buns 2 or more inches apart, tucked sides down, on a greased baking sheet; cover and allow buns to rise (about 30-45 minutes) until puffy.
- 7Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until buns are light golden-brown; remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack.
- 8NOTE: Makes nine 4 1/2 to 5-inch buns or twelve 3 1/2 to 4-inch buns which, once cooled, may be stored airtight in a plastic bag and refrigerated or frozen if desired.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Soft Hamburger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.7
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 372.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 10.1 g