- Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175 C).
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together.
- Stir flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture.
- Stir in oats and optional raisins.
- Form dough into 16 2-inch balls, placing each onto one of two parchment paper-covered, large cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Comments: Do not over bake.
- The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color.
- Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it's not a necessity.
- If you don't use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.