Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was a really excellent recipe that I got from one of my OLD Betty Crocker magazines. My kids love this and it really is easy (almost effortless), and it is also very filling. I like to season the ground beef with a sprinkling of taco seasoning while it cooks, for more of a Tex-Mex flavor. Good for working Moms who are too tired to cook at the end of the day!
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) boxbetty crocker au gratin potato mix
- 2 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 cup shredded taco cheese
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper, chopped
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix potatoes, sauce mix, water, corn and milk in an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Stir in beef and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Add 1 T each finely chopped red and green bell pepper (optional).
- Bake uncovered 30-35 minute or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Let stand a few minutes. Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream.
We really enjoyed this casserole. I made just a few changes. First, I chopped up some onion and added it to the meat as it was browning. I used Mexi-corn instead of plain corn. I also left out the bell peppers (because I didn't have any on hand) and sprinkled the meat with 1 t. cumin, 1 t chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon ground chili pepper. I will make again, as this was a tasty easy week-night meal!
This was made on 11/05/08 for the "Stacky5 Cook-A-Thon" and as part of mine and SO's dinner.As I was browning the ground beef, some chooped onion, some freeze dried red and green bell pepper flakes, and about 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Mucho Gusto Taco Seasoning Mix were added.I didn't have any taco cheese, so I took 1/2 cup of quesadilla cheese and 1/2 cup of sharp chedder mixed in about 2 Tablespoons of the above taco seasoning and it worked great.I had some leftover corn from a previous meal and used that instead of the canned.The baking time for this was "right on the money" However, I think that the next time this made, I will add a bit more taco seasoning to the meat. All of us at "ZAAR" are going to miss you Stacy. "Keep Smiling :)"
I love this casserole. Will be a regular meal in this household.. Thank you for sharing