Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Good source of protein, vitamins A and C, thiamin, riboflavinm calcium and iron.
- 1 coddled egg
- 1 garlic clove, cut into halves
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch romaine lettuce or 2 small bunch romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- margarine or butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Garlic Croutons. Heat oven to 400°F Trim crusts from bread. Spread both sides of bread slices generously with margarine or butter; sprinkle with garlic powder. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Bake in ungreased rectangular baking pan, 13x9x2 inches, stirring ocassionally, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Prepare croutons as directed above. Place in a square microwavable dish, 8x8x2 inches. Microwave uncovered on high (100%), stirring every minute, until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare Coddled Egg: To coddle egg, place cold egg in warm water. Heat enough water to boiling to cover egg completely. Immerse egg in boiling water with spoon; remove from heat, remove from heat. Cover and let stand 30 seconds. Cool egg immediately in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Rub large wooden salad bowl with cut clove of garlic. Allow a few small pieces of garlic to remain in bowl if desired. Mix anchovies, oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and pepper in bowl; toss with romaine until leaves glisten. Break egg onto salad. Squeeze lemon over salad; toss. Sprinkle croutons and cheese over salad; toss.