It is my understanding that there are a variety of recipes masquerading under this name, but this is the one that my friends like most. Overnight chilling not included in preparation time.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as directed in cake directions)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or as directed in cake directions)
- 3 eggs (or as directed in cake directions)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 -12 ounce) jar Mrs Richardson's caramel topping or 1 (8 -12 ounce) jar butterscotch topping
- 8 ounces whipped topping (Extra Creamy Dream Whip is good)
- 2 Heath candy bars, crushed (Skor bars or Nestle's Heath bits will also work, if you can find them)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour 13" x 9" cake pan.
- Mix cake as directed on package.
- Bake the cake about 35 minutes or until it tests done.
- As soon as it comes out of the oven, poke holes all over it with a fork (I actually use a small diameter chop stick) and pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake, followed by caramel sauce (microwaved about one minute until warm and easily pourable - I use only about 10 oz of the jar).
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Shortly before serving, spread whipped topping over cake and sprinkle with crushed Heath bars (or bits).