Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This looks like pumpkin pie, tastes like pumpkin pie but it is butternut squash. Perfect for those gardeners who grow squash instead of pumpkin. My boys can't tell the difference.
- 236.59 ml butternut squash, cooked and well drained
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, unpacked
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml evaporated milk
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml clove
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 9 inch pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butternut squash, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg, milk, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until done.
This was a real treat for dessert tonight. I made just the custard to avoid the fat in the crust. For the cup of sugar I used 1/4 cup of Splenda Brown Blend and 1/4 cup of Splenda granulated then an organic free range egg and fat free evap milk. It wasn't firm enough to cut and serve as a pie wedge, no problem there is nothing wrong with the scoop and serve method. I can't say that it truly tastes like pumpkin, but then it isn't pumpkin, it's butternut squash and it has it own wonderful flavor that is so easy to enjoy.
Mary this is a wonderful pie! I baked the squash days ago and allowed it to strain in the fridge to remove all the moisture, I made it today and was so pleased with it, this has the perfect amount of spices, I did pack the brown sugar, we all have a sweet tooth lol! I will be making this again soon, thanks Mary!