Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Doesn't taste too much like grilled cheese, but these are very tasty and filling! I got this from Breaking the Food Seduction by Dr. Neal Barnard
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Combine all ingredients except bread in a medium saucepan and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with the wire whisk.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 4 of the bread slices on a flat surface.
- Cover one side of each slice evenly with the cooked mixture.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Grill sandwiches in a large nonstick skillet or a heavy skillet misted with nonstick cooking spray or coated with a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Brown each side well, carefully turning over once.
- Slice sandwiches in half diagonally and serve at once.
- Serve with tomato soup, if desired.