Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is originally an Australian Womens Weekly recipe.I sell cakes and one of my customers made the remark that led to my re-titling it as above. It is very easy to make and delicious.
- 125 g margarine or 125 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- Using an electric mixer beat all the ingredients together well until changed colour.
- Put into greased and lined 2lb (14cm x 21 cm) loaf tin.
- Bake at 160 C or 325 F for about 1 hour.
A nice basic cake, easy to make, very nice indeed. just make sure your butter is soft and don't overwork the mixture too much or the cake will become tough. **1 week later** I've decided this cake deserves 5 stars after all as it improved with keeping, say 1 or 2 days later. MMM!
A lovely little, easy-to-make cake. Followed the recipe as written. For Americans, the measurements are: 1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour.
I love the flavour of Caraway in this cake. Great recipe, all in one bowl and very easy to make.