Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My version of Mac n' Cheese for school. In the amount of time it takes to cook the pasta, I had a luxurious cheese sauce ready! Poured into the casseroles, sprinkled with more cheese and whole wheat breadcrumbs, it was declared "Best Mac and Cheese Ever" by the kids (and I think the old cook was jealous!)
- salt (for pasta water)
- 2 kg elbow macaroni
- 1419.54 ml whole milk, divided
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 7.39 ml dried parsley
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 1 kg shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 236.59 ml dry Italian breadcrumbs or 236.59 ml crushed goldfish crackers
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 2 large casserole dishes.
- Boil a large pot of water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Stir in the pepper, parsley, garlic powder, salt and butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese until melted.
- Pour over the pasta in the pot and fold in completely.
- Divide pasta between the casserole dishes, top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly.