Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an adaptation of a recipe from my ex's mother. It is a Brazilian-style coconut flan. This is always a crowd pleaser at a dinner party. Fat-free condensed milk works fine (and with 5 eggs and coconut milk its probably a better idea anyway.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (fat-free ok)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 5 eggs
- Oil a tube pan or souffle dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar and water. Heat over medium-high until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Pour the caramel into the oiled pan and let harden.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the other ingredients. Pour into the caramel-lined pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Fill a roasting pan halfway with hot water. Put the tube pan in the bain-marie and bake at 350 F for one hour, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- With foil still on top, put the pudim into the refrigerator overnight.
- Unmold onto a serving platter and serve. (If you have trouble with this try putting the bottom of the pan in warm water to loosen the caramel.