Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A creamy blend of three cheeses baked with a golden brown breadcrumb crust that is a family comfort food favorite.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour (scant)
- 2 -3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 romano cheese
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup . Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted) or 4 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add flour and mix till paste. Gradually add the milk and stir over medium heat till thickened and creamy. Add dry mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from stove add some mixture to beaten egg and mix together. Add beaten egg mixture back into sauce and fold in cheeses one at a time till mixed.
- Pour sauce into macaroni and blend till coated evenly.
- Pour into a glass 9x13 ovenproof pan sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle with Italian breadcrumbs and a little more parmesan if you like and than drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes until edges are brown and crispy and sauce is bubbling. Great with a tossed salad.
- For fun try different shaped pastas.