Recipe by Kaykwilts
I purchased a waffle maker at a thrift shop for a dollar. My daughter wanted me to make waffles so I told her to find me a recipe in one of my many cookbooks. She found this one in American Cooking. These are very light and wonderful tasting and can easily be frozen.
Top Review by mom of twins #2
unbelievable. We loved it - definately a default recipe. I did add 2 T of sugar and 1T of vanilla. The 2nd time I made it I substituted 1/4c of wheat flour. It was still great!
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Beat egg yolks and add one cup of the buttermilk.
- Mix dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture.
- Add the other cup of buttermilk and the melted butter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
- Bake on you waffle iron until golden brown.