Recipe by CoffeeB
These are a hit at my house for even those that aren't fans of baked beans. I think it's the bacon that adds the x-tra somethin somethin. Or maybe the french fried onions. This can also be done in the oven and so reduce the baking time to 1 1/2 hrs.
Top Review by puppitypup
Oh dear, it just occurred to me why I had a problem with this dish last night. When I bought the ingredients, I assumed we were starting with dry beans. I did realize before starting that it should have been canned beans, so I cooked the beans in the pressure cooker (took about 1 1/2 hours), then put them in the crockpot with the ingredients. The end product was much too mild, but I realized this morning that I weighed the beans dry. I must have had way too high a ratio beans to other ingredients. I ended up adding more and more of the other ingredients at the end along with salt, but since they didn't have time to soak in, it tasted a little hollow - my fault, not Coffeebaristas. So sorry!
- 48 ounces randall's navy beans
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until it's almost done.
- Mix all ingredients together using only 3/4 of the can of french fried onions.
- Cut up the bacon into bite size pieces.
- Add bacon.
- Place crock pot on low for 6 hours
- 1/2 hours before it's done place remaining onions on top.