Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I came up with this recipe because I find myself constantly unsatisfied with the ice cream recipes out there. They are either to rich, to egg-tasting, or too grainy. This recipe has none of those undesired qualities. The ice cream is neither to eggy, nor too buttery in part because of the use of non-fat condensed milk and regular cream.
- Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds using the back of a knife.
- Warm cream, condensed milk, vanilla bean pod and seeds, and salt in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture steams. Do not let the mixture boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks to combine.
- Reheat cream mixture until it steams but does not boil. Slowly pour in a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then pour egg and cream mixture back into the pot.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 175 degrees F or until mixture coats the back of spoon. If you do not have a vanilla bean, now would be the time to add in the vanilla extract.
- Strain mixture, cool and freeze in ice cream maker. Then freeze in freezer until hard (3 or more hours). The vanilla bean can be washed, dried, and reused.