Recipe by True Texas
Chicken & Dumplings have to be one of my all time favorite foods. This recipe is from the website fooddownunder.com, it's good comfort food.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut-up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- additional salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in Dutch oven; add water until chicken is just covered. Add salt & pepper.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from liquid; skin, bone and return meat to broth. Remove 1-1/2 cups broth; chill.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, shortening and 1 cup chilled broth, mix together to form dough.
- Turn onto well-floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness; cut into 1 inch squares and set aside.
- To remaining chilled broth, add the rest of the flour, dash salt & pepper; stir into chicken and remaining broth in Dutch oven.
- Bring broth to boil, add dumpling squares, one at a time, stirring occasionally to seperate. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes or until broth is thick and dumplings are cooked.