1/3 Photos of Best Beef Barley Soup
This is one of my favourite recipes for leftover roast beef - its delicious on a cold winter night!!If you don't have leftover beef, substitute with 1 lb of extra-lean ground beef, to be cooked with the onions. "Demi glace" or "au jus" can be found with the prepackaged gravies & sauces in the supermarket - you just won't get the same great flavour if you omit it!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked cubed roast beef (at least)
- 1 (1 ounce) package demi-glace or 1 (1 ounce) package au jus mix
- 1Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- 2Saute onions and garlic.
- 3Add veggies and cook for about 10 minutes.
- 4Add broth, water and barley.
- 5Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- 6Add Worcestershire, spices and beef.
- 7Stir in demi-glace.
- 8Lower heat and simmer for 30- 45 minutes or until veggies and barley are tender.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Beef Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 972.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: