This original recipe was printed in the insert cookbook that came with my crock pot many years ago. I adjusted it to suit our taste. This brisket is often requested for potlucks and during our football booster club days, it was prepared and sold at all home games. It can be served on buns with sliced onions and dill pickles or by itself. The cooking time reflects the marinade and cooling time.
- Place brisket on large piece of foil.
- Sprinkle with onion seasoning and pour liquid smoke over, fold brisket in half if needed to make a compact packet that will fit in the crock pot.
- Seal foil, place brisket in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, place brisket in the crock pot on low heat, cook 8 hours.
- Remove brisket, strain broth into glass jar.
- Place brisket and broth in refrigerator and allow to cool completely.
- Skim fat from broth and mix 1 1/2 cups broth with barbecue sauce.
- Return the sliced brisket to crock pot and pour sauce over.
- Turn on low and allow to cook for 4 to 6 hours.