1/11 Photos of Best Baked Potato
1 hr 10 mins
Another keeper from Alton Brown's show Good Eats! I don't make baked potatoes any other way now.
My Private Note
- 1Heat oven to 350°F and position racks in top and bottom thirds.
- 2Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water.
- 3Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- 4Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- 5Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven.
- 6Place a baking sheet (I put a piece of aluminum foil) on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- 7Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- 8Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another.
- 9It will pop right open.
- 10But watch out, there will be some steam.
- 11NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Baked Potato
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g