1/11 Photos of Best Baked Potato
1 hr 10 mins
Another keeper from Alton Brown's show Good Eats! I don't make baked potatoes any other way now.
My Private Note
- 1Heat oven to 350°F and position racks in top and bottom thirds.
- 2Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water.
- 3Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- 4Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- 5Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven.
- 6Place a baking sheet (I put a piece of aluminum foil) on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- 7Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- 8Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another.
- 9It will pop right open.
- 10But watch out, there will be some steam.
- 11NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Baked Potato
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g