Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is dish from the Savoie, the Alpine region of France. It is warm, delicious comfort food, nice after a long day in the mountains. This recipe has it with boiled potatoes but also great with bread. You will need 4 small ovenproof dishes 15cm-20cm in diameter.
- Preheat the grill
- Peel the garlic and rub it around the insides of the dishes.
- Finely chop the garlic and place in the dishes.
- Cut the cheese into thin slices.
- Fill the dishes with the cheese shavings, making sure there is some space at the top. This should be more than enough space for the remaining ingredients so it doesn't bubble over.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper, 1 tbsp white wine and 1 tbsp Madeira to each dish.
- Cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbling and golden, 5-10 minutes depending how brown you like it and your oven.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and bread if you like too, dip the potatoes and bread in the Berthoud. Best enjoyed with a dry white wine.