Prep 1 hr 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is SO good. This recipe is from Abby Mandel's 'Weekend Cook' column that appeared in the Chicago Tribune's Home section about 9 years ago. Chill time is 4 hours.
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled
- 1⁄2 pint raspberries
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups day-old brioche bread or 3 cups challah or 3 cups other bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- lightly sweetened whipped cream or low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream
- Puree strawberries and raspberries with 2 T.
- of the sugar in blender or food processor; mixture should be a bit tart.
- Add remaining sugar as desired.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Toss bread cubes with berry mixture in 1 1/2 qt bowl.
- Let rest until all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes, tossing often.
- Divide mixture among four 3/4-cup souffle dishes with circle of parchment or wax paper on the bottom of each dish; press down on the mixture with back of a spoon.
- Place dishes on baking sheet; drape dishes with plastic.
- Weigh dishes down (easily done by stacking two and weighting top dish with an unopened 14 1/2-oz. can).
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Run a knife around edge of each dish.
- Invert onto dessert plates.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, yogurt or ice cream.