Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 35 mins
This is SO good. This recipe is from Abby Mandel's 'Weekend Cook' column that appeared in the Chicago Tribune's Home section about 9 years ago. Chill time is 4 hours.
- Puree strawberries and raspberries with 2 T.
- of the sugar in blender or food processor; mixture should be a bit tart.
- Add remaining sugar as desired.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Toss bread cubes with berry mixture in 1 1/2 qt bowl.
- Let rest until all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes, tossing often.
- Divide mixture among four 3/4-cup souffle dishes with circle of parchment or wax paper on the bottom of each dish; press down on the mixture with back of a spoon.
- Place dishes on baking sheet; drape dishes with plastic.
- Weigh dishes down (easily done by stacking two and weighting top dish with an unopened 14 1/2-oz. can).
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Run a knife around edge of each dish.
- Invert onto dessert plates.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, yogurt or ice cream.