Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Great jelly to go with crackers and cheese
- Place apples in a large pan with enough water to cover.
- Add bergamot leaves.
- Simmer till apples are soft and pulpy, then pour though a jelly bag.
- Leave juice to drip through overnight.
- Measure juice and for each 2½ cups, add 1½ cups of sugar.
- Over a low heat stir to dissolve the sugar, then raise heat and bring to boil.
- Boil till setting point is reached.
- To test, place a tsp of juice on a cold plate. If a skin forms quickly then the jelly is ready. Pour into warm, sterile jars and float a fresh bergamot leaf in each jar.
- Seal and cover.
- Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.