Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Ben's chocolate is about as rich as they come according to Ben & Jerry's book
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped to facilitate melting
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light a fluffly, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending upon your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to you ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Note: I don't believe that it's necessary to follow the directions for making the base particularly carefully.
- I heated the cream to almost-boiling and then poured over the chopped chocolate- much easier than the double boiler.
I have the Ben and Jerry's cookbook too, this one is very rich and chocolatey!