Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Taste of Home recipe.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon water
- tarragon leaf, minced (optional)
- In a double boiler over simmering water or a small heavy saucepan, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard until mixture begins to thicken and reaches 160°. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in cayenne.
- Transfer to a small bowl if necessary. Place bowl in a larger bowl of warm water. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ham and onions in butter until onions are tender. In a large bowl, whisk six eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until set. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup reserved hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a 12-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle; cut each in half widthwise. Place 1 cup egg mixture on half of each rectangle; sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat water and remaining egg; brush over pastry edges. Bring an opposite corner of pastry over the egg mixture; pinch seams to seal. With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with tarragon if desired.
This was really wonderful and not too terribly difficult. I'd never made hollandaise before, but the directions are clear and concise and it came out (in my opinion) lovely! I loved the puff pastry, ham, and egg topped with all that lusciousness! I cut the recipe in 1/3 and made 2 small cassaroles instead, but made the full amount of sauce. Mmmm....
Gotta love taste of home! This is perfect for an elegant lunch