Recipe by LonghornMama
Very colorful, beautiful and delicious treat for brunch or dinner. From Southern Living, earned their highest rating. This is not difficult but takes a little time because the vegetables are sautéed separately. I've also made this in a 13x9 pan, it's just not as pretty.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large purple onion, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2-3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 8 slices sandwich bread, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté garlic, onion and peppers in 1 T olive oil in a large skillet until tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Sauté squash and zucchini in 1 T olive oil in skillet until tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in remaining 1 T olive oil in skillet until tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in sautéed vegetables, half of bread cubes, and remaining ingredients.
- Press remaining bread cubes in bottom of a lightly greased 10-inch springform pan and place on a baking sheet (to catch any liquid that leaks). Pour vegetable mixture into pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil after 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Serve warm.