Recipe by Elmotoo
These taste wonderful with mashed potatoes. (To make mashed potatoes the Belgian way, you also put some nutmeg in with the salt and pepper) I hope you will enjoy these as much as I do. Endives are a little bitter, but cooked they are sometimes a mixture of bitter and sweet.
- 4 endives
- 4 slices ham (not too thick, but not too thin)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the bottom part of the endives, and boil them in salted water, until tender.
- Prepare a bechamelle sauce:.
- Melt 2TB butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add milk a little at a time.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add grated Swiss cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (yes, nutmeg - you can leave it out if you would rather not have any).
- Drain the endives.
- Roll each endive in a slice of ham. Place in a rectangular baking dish.
- Pour the bechamelle over the rolled slices of ham. Sprinkle more Swiss cheese over the sauce. Dot with remaining butter.
- Place under the broiler until golden.