Recipe by dicentra
From Sunset Magazine. You could use canned beets, just omit the cooking the beets part.
- 4 lbs beets (about 3 bunches)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and discard tops and root ends from beets. Rinse beets, peel, and cut crosswise into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Place beets on a rack over water, cover pan, reduce heat, and steam until beets are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, and tarragon. Remove beets from steaming rack and add to bowl. Mix gently to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.