Recipe by Christine L.
My Finnish mother-in-law taught me to make this. It is a family favourite. Measurements are only a guide...it's a good make-ahead salad.
Top Review by veggienut
If there was a ten star review, I would give it. I guess the Finnish have something on us Americans. This salad puts our traditional potato salad to shame; in taste as well as healthwise. Although I didn't have any, plain yogurt would probably be a suitable mayo substitute, although even that may not be necessary. I tried it before adding the mayo and would serve it as is.
- 1 medium potato
- 2 small carrots
- 4 -6 beets
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2-1 cup diced dill pickle
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beets, cut off top stem, and place in a pot with water to cover. Peel potato and carrots, and add to the pot. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove carrots and potato as they become fork tender - be careful not to overcook. Let cool. As beets become tender, remove to a bowl of cold water. Slip off the peels, and cool slightly.
- Dice beets.(Use about 4 - 6 cups diced). Dice carrots, potatoes. Make a small dice,for all vegies, about 1/2 cm or 1/4 inch. Chop onion fine. Place all in a large bowl. Add the diced dill pickles. Pour over 1/2 - 3/4 cups dill pickle juice. Stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When serving, stir in about 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste.